Saturday, December 2, 2023

Shimano 105

 

I wake so tired 

Take the puppy out and faceplant on the couch 

5:30 and the sun not risen 


Now the outside is encircled with light 


Between then and now I drove to the bike co-op and rebuilt my bicycle 

With good guidance and good women's company, I threaded new cables and their housing, clipped the cables and tipped their ends, fixed my chain, replaced the hoods, replaced the tape, replaced the end plugs, replaced the back tire, trued the front tire, lubed the bolts so I could move them, replaced the seat, lubed the stem, cleaned the whole kit and caboodle

My hands: dust and grease and residual tack, tired from wrestling grimy bolts

At the end I climbed on my old bike, not usable these past few years, and road her proudly around the park

I remember walking her home to my place in the city a decade ago, chain grease still visible on my pink jeans 

 

He helped me know she was the one


Then I stopped at the natural food store, chatted about nail polish with the man who loves chia seed pudding as much as I do, bought shredded beet salad and locally made whole milk yogurt and a wintry wreath to hang on the front door 

Came home, took my medicine, ate a salad 

Raked leaves for hours, pausing every so often to chat with neighbors or to call the barking, happy dogs to my side 

Strung the lights along the fenceline 

Went for a long walk and talked to my dearest friend 

Took a shower 

Watched one episode of an episodic documentary about dog dancing 

Ate leftovers from yesterday's dinner: kohlrabi, kale, onion, purple carrots, sausage from a nearby farm

Laid on the couch with the dogs and cat



For women, it's all about leverage 





No comments:

Post a Comment