Sunday, November 24, 2019

Doing my eyebrows



For several decades I have neither felt nor expressed the desire to do my makeup, including the desire to learn how to do my makeup in the first place. Yet this week I found myself watching YouTube tutorials about doing your eyebrows, and a couple days after that I had added two eyebrow-related makeup products to an online cart and proceeded to purchase them. One of the products is an eyebrow pencil, and according to the tutorials I am meant to draw the shape of an eyebrow -- any eyebrow shape I want, though I'm advised to create a particular shape if I want to complement the shape of my face, which, according to a chart I found, is either square, round, long, oval, or heart-shaped, and it is further advised that determining the right eyebrow aesthetic for my face shape and my particular brows is based on a rather complex series of measurements from the inside of my eyebrow to the outside of my nostril and from the outside of my nostril diagonally across my eye to wherever that line abuts my eyebrow -- around my existing eyebrow, and then use a special tool to smudge the eyebrow pencil into my actual eyebrow hairs so it looks my newly shaped eyebrows are filled with hairs even though it they partially filled with eyebrow pencil. According to a Buzzfeed article entitled "10 Tips for Beginners That'll Make Your Eyebrows Fleeker Than Fleek," I am supposed to use a special tool to comb my eyebrow hairs upward before lining them in eyebrow pencil, but because I am new to all this and the YouTube tutorials that I watched prior to purchasing eyebrow-related makeup products didn't stipulate that this tool was a necessity for doing one's eyebrows, I have not purchased an eyebrow brush, and I'm not sure if I will, because I am not yet sure whether I intend to continue doing my eyebrows. The second makeup product that I purchased is meant to be used immediately after lining my eyebrows with eyebrow pencil. Depending on the source you consult, this product is simply called eyebrow gel, or, possibly, a spoolie. When I consulted the Buzzfeed article after purchasing my eyebrow-related makeup products, I was at first dismayed to read that a spoolie is an essential piece of equipment in anyone's toolkit of eyebrow starter essentials, because I had purchased an eyebrow pencil and eyebrow gel, but, to my knowledge, I had failed to purchase a spoolie. Imagine my relief when I did some more research and discovered that eyebrow gel and a spoolie seem to be two terms for the same product: a sort of tiny mascara brush for the brows. Twice now I have attempted to use my new eyebrow pencil and eyebrow gel, the first "actual" makeup that I've ever attempted aside from some eye shadow at high school dances and the eighth grade formal, with mixed results. On the first instance I neglected to conduct the series of measurements recommended before applying eyebrow products for the first time, and I swiped the eyebrow pencil and gel too far down along the outside of my eye, creating a kind of upside down "U" shape from the inner edge of my brows to the far outer corner of my eye. I did not repeat this mistake a second time, making sure to finish lining my eyebrows and using my spoolie before reaching the section of my brows that curves downward from the bony arch of my eye socket. The results, I think, were more successful, at least according to the standards established by the YouTube tutorials and the Buzzfeed article. Even my husband, who to my knowledge is not generally a fan of a made up aesthetic, or who, at least, has never referenced pejoratively the fact that I have never been inclined to wear makeup, remarked on the fact that my eyebrows looked "good," though it's not exactly clear what that means. Nevertheless, I found myself feeling unsure about the results, though it is unclear whether that is because the results failed to create a positive effect, or because I am unaccustomed to seeing myself in makeup and thus find any application of makeup, and my concomitant reflection in the bathroom mirror, to be irregular and maybe even slightly disorienting.




No comments:

Post a Comment