Saturday, October 22, 2022

Bumblebee jasper

 

The extension and the silence

We know how this works

Clockwork 


Morning snuggles on the mattress

Nine pounds of rumbling orange fur draped across my torso

Sixty-six solid pounds of dirty dog pressed to my legs, lightly snoring



This is new: he can look me in the eyes

On our sides in lamplight 

Afterward we ate scrambled eggs, bacon, hashbrowns on the couch 

They have won another game 

I wish he would read me

There's the tenderness 


Sweatshirts on the grey chair in disarray 

White egrets melting into rain 

You've kept me company in this place 


What's in the large paper bag on top of the dresser 

The swimsuit hangs from the door handle, unused since August - Adirondack hot tub

Adulthood is feeling behind all the time 

Losing ourselves, mowing the lawn, and feeding the dog on time 


I miss biking through the farmlands

Miss my mountain climbs, water soundtrack 

Miss my sister and my brother

It's Hanna's birthday soon 


Without a shift, it's probably time to let go 

I drink coffee every morning now 

Maybe it's been me all along 

When did it get to be late October 



No comments:

Post a Comment