Sunday, December 11, 2022

Golden pillow

 

The magical man appears dressed in white on a bike 

The magical man appears dressed in black and walking his dog 

I am not a koala 



The outdoor halls have been decked

Roping and white lights around the garage, the front door 

A small concolor fir staked in the front yard, sparkling white lights on it 

Soon my friend's kids and I will make peanut-butter-covered pinecones, dried orange slices, strings of cranberry and popcorn 

The squirrels will feast 



Each winter, so far, a flock of robins descends on the small pond in the backyard 

Each spring, they peck the grassy hillside alone or in pairs 

A single starling pecks amongst them 

Perhaps they lost their flock 

Perhaps they preferred the peacefulness of the robins to the wartime maneuverings of starling hordes 

Perhaps they yearn for a red breast 



I want two breasts and two legs 

I have eaten the chicken salad 

I am snuggling with Hanna on the couch 

She is tired from days of hiking 



I am collecting small prints of animals, each with a brave, just heart 







No comments:

Post a Comment