Thursday, December 29, 2022

I have heard rumors all over town

 

Loud sounds and bright lights 

A wolf on his tummy 

We're an evergreen family 


Mom wants Botox and a Samsung watch 

Dad isn't really talking any more 

Once again my brother has flown nine thousand miles away 


We have been so uncareful with each other 


I have given shelter to his bad habits and they have grown on me like fleas 

I don't know if I will be able to speak freely again 

I have tried and tried and tried 

Loneliness is less confusing 



Is it rolling? 

I said I'd only do what's necessary 

Like a bat out of the chimney 

Resting weary wings on shiplap 

I don't know if I want to be here 


I don't know if I want this work or this house or this place or these feelings 

Is this what growing older feels like? 

Constriction and doubt 


Of course I miss it 

Lying across that bed upstairs 

Hunter-green skirt 

Black t-shirt 

What kind of shoes did I wear then? 


Remember when I went to West Virginia? 


Of course I miss them--the mountains 

What's the distinction between running toward and running away? 

It's time for a reckoning 


He has left his wife and entered the conference room holding hands with another woman, maybe 

Is anybody certain? 


A big red arc across the globe 

Orion bright above the hickories 

One more night 




No comments:

Post a Comment