Friday, November 10, 2023

Trying to find the words


While my country pays for a genocide 

Like I paid for eggs and non-dairy creamer at the natural food store early evening 

I tuck native plants into the soil 

Call my representatives 

Leave another voicemail 

Text my friends

Stand in vigil downtown with other members of my community 

Light a candle 

Rake the wet leaves from my absent neighbors' driveway

Rake the piled leaves onto a large brown tarp 

Drag the tarp down the driveway, a corner gripped in each hand   

Carefully tip the leaves into the gutter 

Carry the mail to the garage and stack it softly on the wooden step leading into my neighbors' home 



Language, they say, has to break 


There are no words for this 


We make them 

Or 

We stop doing heretofore unspeakable things 



We must be honest.

They have always been done. 


Now a plurality of people, power to them, are trying to speak to it  


That's the hope here: How many people are trying to find the words 




No comments:

Post a Comment